Topic: How can I list products vertically instead of in a grid on main page?

Hi,

I have been trying to figure out which part of the script ashop index.php is calling to list the products vertically in each category, as opposed to the grid format on the main page.

In other words, when you click on a product category from the main store page, you are taking to a vertically ordered product listing page, with the product image on the right, the product title, a description below, and the add to cart button for each product, followed by the same for another product, etc. The products listing can be ordered by name, lowest price, highest price.

The URL for this shown on the browser is: http://your website.com/ashop/index.php?cat=1

How can I implement this so that this vertical listing, with a little bit of product description (with "read more" option) is what appears on the main page instead of the default product image/price-only grid arrangement?

I have been looking for the script snippet that does this on ashop but I cant figure out how its being done. I want to list all the products available in this format up to 20, 50, 100 or so, with a paging function on the bottom to see the next 20, 50, 100, sort of like ebay's auction products listing, with the user selecting how many products to be listed at a time before pagination.

Then clicking on the product title or image takes the customer to a product detail page (again, like ebay.), and another button, or "back" brings them back again to the listing.

Thanks again for this magical software...the more I use it the more it amazes...

Re: How can I list products vertically instead of in a grid on main page?

There is a setting for this in the layout configuration page of your admin panel. Set the number of items per row to 1 to make it a vertical list rather than a grid. You can also try the condensed layout option if you really want it to look more like a list.

Hi,

First, a clarification: I mistook the FEATURED products image blocks on the main page as part of a grid product listing. This is what I have been trying to change to a vertical listing.

With this better understanding of what I am looking at, I would like to now simply try to find a way to list ALL products BELOW these featured products on the MAIN page, without the need to click on a category to see the products.

The instructions you gave requires clicking on a category link, and then it ONLY shows the listing of that single category.

As you indicated, I went to admin --> configuration --> Layout and found the "Items per row" field.  However, it already has "1"  there as a default. This seemingly only controls the product display AFTER clicking on a specific product category.

Then it ONLY lists the products in that specific category.

As a work around, I tried creating a category called "All Products", and inserting the two other categories underneath it. Surely, the "All Products" category correctly indicated the total number of products in both subcategories, but clicking on "All Products" just produces a blank space, it still doesnt show a listing of ALL the products in the subcategories.

Again, I am trying to figure out how to list ALL products underneath the featured products on the MAIN page automatically without the user clicking on anything.  Most shopping carts have this "Show All Products" function. I just want it done automatically in a vertical listing format on the main page. The ashop layout configuration option you suggested seems to require clicking on a category, and then, it ONLY lists products inside that single category.

I guess a simple SQL query to show all products, ordered according to date created, price, name, etc can handle what I am trying to do, but I am trying to see if this can be done WITHOUT messing with core ashop code, but rather, using existing ashop code functions.

Ashop coding is amazingly complex and I wouldnt want to add coding that may disrupt or conflict with something else.

Also, how do I find the location, and remove the "Welcome to a new Ashop" image displayed above the featured products on main page? I want to use this space for something else (not an image.)

Finally, where is the arranging or ordering of the vertical listing (using the optional drop-down selector according to lowest price, highest price, name) being done? Which ashop php file is doing this? 

Thank you...

antn wrote:

Hi,

First, a clarification: I mistook the FEATURED products image blocks on the main page as part of a grid product listing. This is what I have been trying to change to a vertical listing.

With this better understanding of what I am looking at, I would like to now simply try to find a way to list ALL products BELOW these featured products on the MAIN page, without the need to click on a category to see the products.

The instructions you gave requires clicking on a category link, and then it ONLY shows the listing of that single category.

As you indicated, I went to admin --> configuration --> Layout and found the "Items per row" field.  However, it already has "1"  there as a default. This seemingly only controls the product display AFTER clicking on a specific product category.

Then it ONLY lists the products in that specific category.

As a work around, I tried creating a category called "All Products", and inserting the two other categories underneath it. Surely, the "All Products" category correctly indicated the total number of products in both subcategories, but clicking on "All Products" just produces a blank space, it still doesnt show a listing of ALL the products in the subcategories.

Again, I am trying to figure out how to list ALL products underneath the featured products on the MAIN page automatically without the user clicking on anything.  Most shopping carts have this "Show All Products" function. I just want it done automatically in a vertical listing format on the main page. The ashop layout configuration option you suggested seems to require clicking on a category, and then, it ONLY lists products inside that single category.

I guess a simple SQL query to show all products, ordered according to date created, price, name, etc can handle what I am trying to do, but I am trying to see if this can be done WITHOUT messing with core ashop code, but rather, using existing ashop code functions.

Ashop coding is amazingly complex and I wouldnt want to add coding that may disrupt or conflict with something else.

Also, how do I find the location, and remove the "Welcome to a new Ashop" image displayed above the featured products on main page? I want to use this space for something else (not an image.)

Finally, where is the arranging or ordering of the vertical listing (using the optional drop-down selector according to lowest price, highest price, name) being done? Which ashop php file is doing this? 

Thank you...

Hi

Did you figure out how to list ALL products underneath the featured products on the MAIN page automatically without the user clicking on anything?
I am wondering the same thing... I want larger pictures and many pictures on the main page.
Would be grateful for information from you or other users. Maybe ashopadmin can advise?
Thank you.

The latest version (5.4.2) allows you to define the number of featured products you want to show on the frontpage and will also generate the html code automatically to show them without having to create table cells for each one yourself.

Another option is to remove the Welcome page content from Catalog->Manage pages. This will make the top category show on your frontpage instead and by adding a content item to that category, you can still have a welcome box on the top. You can copy your products to the top category to make them show up on the frontpage, while still keeping them in their original category.